Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Six Words...

One of my favourite writers (who I admit I haven't read enough of), once reportedly had a little wager with a journalist. The wager was to write in only Six words, a story.

His response: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn"

Hemingway won the bet. It may well be short, but what more do you need to know? (Ladies, for arguments sake, they were brown ;o) ).

Anyway's, the reason I recant this little yarn is because whilst listening to the radio this morning, I heard of a competition being held by Smith Magazine to write something similar, but not just a story, your life story, in just six words...

It appears to of attracted a lot of entries, but my favourite submissions, of those I've heard so far, are:

"It takes talent to waste talent"
"Life too short, eat good cheese"
"Don't 'Swing' until your second marriage"
"I came, I saw, I kvetched"
"Everything I've made can be deleted"
"White was never my colour anyway"
"I make some pretty bad decisions"
"Wake up, wash, rinse, and repeat"
"Bacon makes everything better in life"

So it got me thinking, what would my entry be?

Maybes, "Dreams and hair, come and go"... ;o)

Feel free to share your own six word life story :O)


Ciao Ciao
Confused From Cambridge
I BLOG There4 I Am

9Comments:

Blogger gemmak said...

Ack! This is like one of those damn songs one hum's all day long....I can't get it outta my head!....but I still can't come up with anything, let alone inspirational! :o/

8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fear of love left me behind"

9:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the best is yet to come

1:48 am  
Blogger Fletch said...

My Fav. Email reply so far...

"Generosity: keep the five words left"

:O)

8:12 am  
Blogger gemmak said...

Nope...I've given up! :o/

5:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gem. Thats only four or five words!

;o)

5:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... I don't like to say this often, but Fletch is right. That's not enough words. :)

12:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the challenge was to write a story using only six words (the pendant in me ignores the obvious choice of a vocabulary of six words and assumes that the intention was to write using a total of six words - even if they are the same word).

My attempt:

Born poor, generous Nigel donated millions.

or the converse:

Avenging childhood abuse, Nigel murdered millions.

Or less:

Nigel gave millions to orphans.

Or even:

He came, she saw, they divorced. :-)

10:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(giggle)

2:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home