Friday, August 12, 2005

B.O.F.H. Brings Love

Fancy hotels, with fancy names, in fancy places, with nameless staff faking their smiles, dressed in their corporate waste coats with matching socks, attempting to speak some form of Cro-Lith-Eston-English'ian... [Why are all the staff in hotels NOT English any more?]. After a very short while it just ceases to impress, you just don't want to be there. No matter how good the food, the Mini Bar, the Pool, the Sauna etc. even and the fact you're not paying... It's just not home and you're not with the people you want to be with :-( [And they never have a 2Meg ADSL pipe!!!].

And this is where I'd found myself, just walking anonymously down to Breakfast in the midst of a faceless crowd, in a fancy hotel, with all of us desperately planning our escape timetable to be either a few minutes before or after the mass checkout scrum...

Then something odd happened... something very very odd... As I approached the breakfast room the guy leaving was looking at me... He'd broken the first golden rule of Hotel Life [unless you're pissed and on the Pull]... Avoid any eye contact what-so-ever with other guests [you don't want to know them or talk to them, because you know any time spent in the presence you'll regret not spending reading your book!]. I was pretty sure I didn't know him, I don't know anyone that wears a suit, let alone anyone that would wear one to breakfast [unless it was for a very early funeral!!!].

As he passed me by I turned... he turned... He spoke... 'You're the first person I've ever seen wearing one of those T-Shirt's'....

It was my Favourite 'B.O.F.H.' T. [Those of you not familiar with the B.O.F.H. [Bastard Operator From Hell - my role model], may I suggest a little light reading here...Favorite Issue this year... If you enjoyed that there's more here and here... ]

I must admit to being a bit stunned at first... I was hardly awake, let alone ready to converse with a complete stranger... But In those brief seconds we exchanged more than a hand shake... We had some unity, a bond; we shared a common Web Site - El. Reg. We were 'Tecky's' and not your Bill Gate clone types either! It was as if I knew his life story, cus it was the same as mine; but with a suit!, we had exchanged some respect and dare i say it, some 'LOVE'...

The whole encounter brought a Big Smile to my face. In this world, which seems to encourage endemic isolation with as passion, suddenly over my 'full with scrambled' I realised... I wasn't alone out here... It felt good :-).

Hotel Breakfast's though... always a good opportunity to laugh at some pompous Americans being overly obtuse and loud, wanting their Yogurt's 'over easy' and their Americano's 'Skinny'... Today was no-exception... The frustration as their face's neared boiling point, their voices getting louder and louder, in a hopeless attempt to explain to the Latvian waitress, who only knows two words of English, what they wanted doing to their eggs!!! [I love watching you guys, you crack me up ;-)].


Ciao Caio
Confused from Cambridge

I BLOG There4 I am

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home